When considering hairstyles, everyone has different preferences and desires. But for those in search of long-lasting locks that add volume and texture to their natural hair, tape in extensions make an ideal choice. Made up of tapes lined with artificial or natural keratin proteins that are designed to bond with the client’s own hair, these extensions can offer beauty benefits for weeks at a time. So how long do tape in extensions last? In this blog post, we’ll take a deeper look into what factors determine the longevity of tape in extensions-from quality products to proper maintenance-to help set you on a path towards stunning, longer-lasting results.
What is tape in extensions?
Tape in extensions are a type of hair extension that uses double-sided tape to attach the extensions close to the root of someone’s natural hair. Because they use only a small amount of adhesive, tape in extensions can be easily removed without any damage to natural hair. This makes them a popular choice for those who want an alternative to traditional sew-in or glue-in extensions.
The various types of tape in extensions
– Synthetic Tape In Extensions: These are made out of a blend of plastic and rayon fibers that simulate the look and feel of human hair. They come in a variety of colors, textures, and lengths to choose from.
– Heat Resistant Tape In Extensions: Heat resistant tape in extensions are made from heat-resistant synthetic fibers that can withstand styling tools such as flat irons or curling irons.
– Human Hair Tape In Extensions: As the name implies, these extensions are made of human hair and can be styled just like your own natural hair.
Benefits of tape in hair extensions
Tape in extensions offer a number of benefits over other types of hair extensions, including:
– They are lightweight and comfortable to wear.
– They can be applied quickly and easily.
– They cause minimal damage to natural hair as they use only a small amount of adhesive to attach the extensions.
– They blend seamlessly with your natural hair and can be styled just like your own hair.
– They are available in a wide variety of colors, textures, and lengths to choose from.
How long do tape in extensions last?
So, how long do tape in extensions last? The longevity of tape in extensions depends on a variety of factors, including the quality of the hair and how well it is maintained. Generally speaking, tape in extensions can last for up to 8-10 weeks before they need to be reapplied or replaced. If you take care of your extensions properly by using gentle products and avoiding too much heat styling, they can last even longer.
The signs that my tape in extensions need to be replaced
– Your extensions are starting to feel loose or they’re slipping out of place.
– You notice visible damage to the extensions, such as fraying ends or split strands.
– The color of your extensions has started to fade.
– You notice excessive shedding or tangling.
The consequences of not replacing my tape in extensions
If you don’t replace your tape in extensions when they start to show signs of wear and tear, you could be at risk for some serious hair damage. Your natural hair may become brittle and dry due to the excessive weight of the extensions, which can lead to breakage or even bald patches. Additionally, if your extensions are not replaced on time, you will start to notice an unnatural, uneven appearance as your own hair grows and the extensions continue to slip out of place.
How to properly care for your tape in extensions?
To ensure that your tape in extensions last as long as possible, it’s important to care for them properly. Here are some tips on how to keep your hair looking its best and maximize the life of your extensions:
– Use a brush specifically designed for hair extensions to avoid tangles and breakage.
– Wash your hair with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner to keep your natural hair and extensions healthy.
– Avoid using too much styling product as this can cause buildup on the tapes.
– Use a heat protectant spray before using any heating tools on your hair.
– Avoid sleeping in your extensions as this can lead to tangling and matting.
Some mistakes often made when taking care of tape in extensions
– Not brushing your extensions properly.
– Using the wrong products on your hair (i.e using a shampoo that is too harsh or not using a heat protectant spray).
– Overwashing and overbrushing your extensions.
– Excessive blow drying, curling, or straightening of the extensions.
Tips for making my tape in extensions last longer
– Use professional quality hair extensions that are made with 100% human hair.
– Follow a regular maintenance schedule for your extensions, which should involve brushing and washing them every 2-3 days.
– Invest in a good quality heat protectant spray to help protect the hair from damage caused by styling tools.
– Avoid sleeping in your extensions as much as possible.
– Use a detangling spray to help reduce tangles and knots.
How much does the tape in the extension cost?
The cost of a tape hair extension depends on the quality and length of the hair, as well as the salon or stylist you choose to work with. Generally, tape in extensions can range from $100 to over $1000 for a full head installation. The price may also vary depending on the brand of hair used.
Conclusion: How long do tape in extensions last?
With the proper care and maintenance, tape in extensions can last up to 8-10 weeks before needing to be replaced. However, this time frame is dependent on factors such as the quality of the hair, how well it is maintained, and whether or not proper styling techniques are used. With a little bit of TLC, you can ensure your extensions look beautiful and stay healthy for as long as possible.
FAQ: Tape in extensions
Who should not get tape in extensions?
If you have dry scalp, avoid tape-in extensions. The adhesive strips used in these extensions are highly sensitive to moisture. It is therefore not advisable to apply oil to your scalp. If you are experiencing scalp dehydration, tape-in extensions may not be the best option as they require adequate moisture to maintain healthy hair.
How many days after tape in extensions can I shower?
To ensure the longevity of your tape-in hair extensions, it is crucial to follow the recommended care guidelines after application. One important aspect to note is the waiting period before showering. It is advised to wait at least 48 hours after the application before washing your hair to allow the adhesive to strongly bond with your natural hair. To preserve the extensions during this period, we suggest wearing a shower cap while showering.
Do tape in extensions hurt your scalp?
Improperly applying tape-in extensions too closely to the scalp can result in challenging removal and cause damage. As the bond moves away from the root, it becomes more prone to getting tangled or twisted with your natural hair.
How many times can you wear tape in extensions?
Discover the longevity of tape-in hair extensions. With proper maintenance and follow-up appointments every 6-8 weeks, you can reuse your tape-ins up to 3 times. Get ready to flaunt your luscious locks and achieve your desired look without frequent salon trips. Don’t miss out on this durable and cost-effective hair extension option.
Does sweat ruin tape in extensions?
Protecting your tape-in extensions from sweat and chlorine is vital. After exercising, attending to your extensions is crucial to prevent damage. Prolonged exposure to sweat and chemicals can cause the adhesive binding the extensions to your hair to weaken, leading to further issues.
Are tape in extensions bad for thin hair?
Discover if tape in extensions are suitable for thin hair. If you have thin hair, tape in hair extensions might be the ideal solution for you. The application of tape-in extensions is effortless, making them an excellent choice for people with thinner hair.
Do tape in extensions feel heavy?
Unlike clip-in extensions, tape-in extensions are significantly lighter and won’t cause any bald spots even if you use them daily.
Can you wear a ponytail with tape in extensions?
You can wear a ponytail with tape-in extensions and explore various gorgeous styles. However, it’s important to avoid over-tightening your hair while doing so. Don’t let the extensions hold you back from sporting that chic high ponytail you’ve been eyeing.
Do tape in extensions fall out easily?
With proper application by a trained stylist, tape in extensions will not slip or come loose. Improper placement or adding the wrong amount of hair can cause issues, but with the right technique, you can enjoy your new look worry-free. Trust a trained stylist for flawless results.
How tight should tape in extensions be?
Achieving the right level of tightness is key when it comes to tape in extensions. For optimal results, leave a gap of between ¼ and ½ inch between the scalp and the tape.
Trayce served as a grassroots leader and activist in Texas as President of Dallas and Texas Eagle Forum.
Trayce is Mom Caucus Member, Texas Conservative Mamas, Texas Conservative Grassroots Coalition Leader, and Grassroots America Champion of Freedom Honoree.
She currently serves as the Eagle Forum National Issues Chair on Human Trafficking.
Trayce received a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing from Texas A&M
Currently, she homeschools her youngest child age 13 and graduated her six oldest children, ages 31 to 19.